From the first three decades of the twentieth century, the music here is so transfixing, intensely devotional and sublimely beautiful, that some contemporary listeners thought they were levitating.
Drawn from recordings made in Istanbul by the Gramophone Company and HMV, amidst the ruins of the Ottoman Empire, To Scratch Your Heart crosses and mixes the folk and classical heritage of Turks, Greeks, Armenians and Gypsies, Muslims, Christians and Jews, urbanites and country-people, and the demands of tradition and modernity, musical improvisation, composition and system.
Most of the singers here are ‘hafiz’, versed in a musical reading of the Koran, and renowned for mastery of the exalted, improvisatory form of the ‘gazel’: there are several magnificent examples here, by legendary artists. Three gazelhans beautifully interpret folk songs, and another contributor, the folklorist Agyazar Efendi, sings a long Armenian air with utter authenticity, but in the style of a gazel. Exemplifying the new political freedoms of the Republic, there are two heart-melting female vocal performances of a kind of art-song called ‘sarki’. Also featured is the ‘taksim’, a kind of improvisation in which one-off musical fireworks, designed to ravish the listener’s soul, illuminate deep fluency in the ‘makam’: a who’s who of the pre-eminent instrumentalists of this first half-century of Turkish recording, in performances which are simply stunning — breath-taking, exquisite and other-worldly.
Brilliantly restored at Abbey Road, fully annotated with rare photographs, and luxuriously presented in both formats.
*COVID-19 Notice: We are located in Los Angeles which has a city-wide Safer At Home ordinance pausing non-essential business activities. We are monitoring the situation daily and fulfilling orders on a less-frequent basis only when it is safe to do so. Please bear with us as the situation is constantly changing, but for the time being we are trying to ship things out once a week, but there is always the possibility we will need to pause shipping completely until the ordinance is lifted. Mail carriers have also informed us that expedited shipping guarantees may not be met at this time. Thank you for understanding.
We really appreciate you shopping with us. Below are our general policies. We do our best to make our customers happy, so if you have a concern please feel free to contact us :)
- We ship orders out Mon-Fri, often same day if possible—but please allow 1-5 business days for processing. Most packages are sent via US Postal Service with delivery confirmation.
Please make sure your shipping address and contact info are correctly entered at checkout. Unless you specify to us that you want to pay to fully insure your package, we are not liable for loss or damage. Shipping charges are non-refundable.
US (Domestic) shipping is calculated by order total. Standard shipping usually takes 2-9 business days, depending on destination. Priority and Express options are available at checkout for additional fees.
|$150 and up
Customs fees may apply depending on tariff rules in your country. Your country's customs office may in rare cases delay the arrival of your package beyond our control. The customer is responsible for any fees or taxes added by their country's customs office.
- International shipments are sent via US Postal Service and rates are calculated by total order weight in order to best approximate actual charges.
First Class International (transit time varies), limited tracking and no insurance
Priority International (6-10 business days from shipping date), tracking and limited insurance
Express International (3-5 days business days from shipping date), tracking and full insurance
- Please keep in mind we are not liable for loss or damage in the mail if you select an option without insurance and tracking. We recommend insuring and tracking whenever possible.
- If you don't see your country on the shipping options list or have any other special requests, just contact us and we'll do our best to help :)
Local Customers (Los Angeles)
- For those who prefer not to pick up their orders in person from our Chinatown office, we can sometimes accommodate your requests—just send us an email to check availability. Once you have confirmed pickup arrangements then you can enter code LOCALPICKUP at checkout to waive shipping charges.
Because of the tiny nature of our operation, we apologize for our limited return policy.
- No returns on books, music, artwork and objects, accessories, and general merchandise, aside from defective items. Unworn clothing and shoes bought online may be exchanged or returned within 7 days of receipt, unless otherwise specified.
- Returns are only accepted if you notify us within 7 days of receipt of the item and return it to us within 14 days of the order ship date. Goods must be in perfect unworn/unused condition with all original packaging intact. The customer is responsible for outbound and return shipping costs, which are non-refundable. If store credit is issued, it is valid for one year from the issue date.
- We also cannot accept returns on sale items. Some sale items are the last copy and may have experienced some wear and tear. Discounts take into account for any damage but if you have any questions about the condition of a particular item, please email us.
Thank you in advance for understanding!
- All customer information collected by us through our online shop will only be used for the purposes of fulfilling and delivering your orders, and customer service. If you choose to sign up for our mailing list, we will only use that information to send you occasional announcements related to Ooga Booga.
- We will never share or sell your information to any third parties or use it for any outside marketing purposes.
- Should you ever wish to unsubscribe or opt out of our mailing list, simply fill out the form on our website to unsubscribe, or send us an email to be removed.
Please feel free to ask us any questions about a product or the ordering process!